The Big Local initiative in Broad Green aims to strengthen and enhance the area through the assets, strengths and connections of local people who live and work here. The initiative will see local citizens building on their talents and aspirations identifying and acting on their own passions and concerns to make their area even an better place to live and work.
At a time when new opportunities are coming to the area the local community will take the lead in taking Big Local forward in their area creating a unique programme of activity backed by £1 million funding over a ten year period. Broad Green is one of 150 areas across the UK chosen to take part in Big Local.
This sustainable approach to long-term issues will ensure that Broad Green becomes an even better places to live through the following outcomes:
- Communities will be better able to identify local needs and take action in response to them;
- People will have increased skills and confidence so that they can continue to identify and respond to local needs in future;
- The community will make a difference to the needs it prioritises;
- People will feel that their area is an even better place to live
As a result of work already done in the area over recent years the local community has identified the following priorities which will be developed at the core of Big Local:
- To make the area cleaner, safer and more environmentally friendly by tackling waste and cleansing issues, crime and anti-social behaviour;
- To provide practical skills or support for local people to improve their employability;
- To provide positive activities for young people and educational-support initiatives;
- To provide support for vulnerable groups, including older people, parents/carers, people at risk offending/getting involved in crime, new residents and those whose first language is not English;
- To create greater community cohesion in the area and to bring people of different backgrounds and cultures together
Find out more about activities taking place in the area of Broad Green – click here
For more information on how Big Local works nationally please visit the website – click here